Friday, January 1, 2010

2009 Wedding Review: Appreciating the Art - Pt. 3

Posers
Yesterday I wrote about capturing emotion and personality in candid moments just before or after the posed photos. Today I'm going to show a number of posed images and explain a bit of the story behind each of them. I'm not going to show the difference between final and proof images as I have in previous posts because I find myself saying the same things over and over again. If you'd like to see the difference between a proof image and a final image check out my posts on "Walking" and "The Moment After".

Jenny and Adrian
We'll start pretty simply. Jenny and Adrian had an incredible wedding with interesting details at every point throughout the day. One of those details were these big balloons that were guiding guests from their cars to the ceremony site. Jenny asked if they could have a picture with one. I took several, and while this is clearly not a candid moment between two people, the balloon adds enough interest and quirkiness that the image still draws some emotion from the viewer.

090809_JennyAdrianWedding_5935 copy

This next image is also of Jenny and Adrian and while it may look candid it is actually posed. Jenny and Adrian sat patiently while Mindy and I rigged the lights to work properly in this very dark bar area of the Arctic Club in Seattle. The people next to them are actually the band they hired, and they just happened to be at the bar before they went on.

This shot works because of the repeating patterns of the bodies and the bottles, interesting, directional light (thanks Mindy), and a moment that appears timeless and un-posed.
090809_JennyAdrianWedding_6397 copy

Sarah and Ryan
From a photography perspective everything just clicked on Sarah and Ryan's wedding day. Great locations, great weather, people willing to pose, and a bit of luck made for an amazing day full of memorable images.

For this shot, we were shooting outside at another location and a woman walking by just mentioned that she and her husband owned a Persian rug shop just around the corner and we could shoot in there if we wanted. Well, we jumped on the opportunity and when I asked if they could climb up on this table to pose, not only did the owner say yes, but he brought in more rugs and helped arrange them for the perfect shot.

And while this is a very striking and unique location, would this frame really be anything at all without the attitude that Sarah and Ryan brought to this image?
090606_SarahRyan_9343

This next image is Sarah again, this time with her bridesmaids. She mentioned how the bridesmaid's dresses had pockets and so I thought I would try to highlight that feature by cutting off the girls' heads and making this frame just about the clothing. Like the Persian rugs, this image has a unique element that adds interest, but what really makes it a great image is the posing. I have to say I didn't do much as far as posing these girls. I simple said something like, "Give me your sexy model pose!"

Again, everything just came together perfectly. This photo is all about the little details: The tweaked ankle of the girl on the far right, the flowers, Sarah's yellow toed shoe poking out from beneath her dress, the pockets of course, and again, the raw attitude the girls were willing to bring to the image.
090606_SarahRyan_0339 copy

Lisa and Brandon
Many times in the portrait sessions, certain elements aren't exactly how I would like them. Sometimes I need people to move a bit, sometimes I need to change lenses, sometimes the background is distracting. So during the bride and groom portrait session I often have to choose between taking the time to make that certain element right, or moving on to get as much variety as we can in the limited time we have.

I've never regretted taking the time to tweak an image a bit to make it conform to my vision. In this case, I had the Rolls Royce positioned to take portraits from the front of the car. However, as we were taking their portraits, Lisa and Brandon's parents kept asking them to do a "dutch kiss". I'd never seen this before but I thought it was hilarious and I immediately knew I wanted them to do it perfectly squared in front of the car. That meant that I had to ask Lisa's dad to move the car "just a bit" for a third time. Yes, I risked being a pain, but he was fine with it and I never would have had this image if I hadn't taken the time to adjust the reality of the situation to my vision of the image.
090904_LisaBrandon_1333

This next image certainly looks pretty candid, and it certainly carries the emotion many candid moments carry. However, this image happened because the girls were told to kiss Lisa. Just a reminder that posed images don't have to feel posed.
090904_LisaBrandon_1909 copy

Natalie and Sean
On Natalie and Sean's wedding day we were behind schedule. For various reasons we only had about 20 minutes for a bride and groom session. So, after the group portraits we sneaked in a few more bride and groom portraits and this is one that came from that time. I was taking some fine, but fairly standard images with a long portrait lens (85mm), but I decided to see what I would see with a wide 17mm view, and when I looked through the viewfinder this is what I saw. Needless to say, I was glad I took the time to experiment even though we were a bit rushed for time.
090906_NatalieSean_3434 copy

2 comments: